How to Pray for Your Senior High School Student
It is mid-April and commencement preparations are just about complete on our campus. Parents wonder how and why this time warp took last week’s kindergartener and returned her a few days later as a senior. Second-guessing is in full swing; is he ready? Did I teach her enough? Why didn’t we spend more time doing …? How will we pack in all that remains to be said?
Every day this season, a school social media post calls our community to pray for our seniors. When we pray for our seniors and bring them before the throne of grace, we will find our own questions and doubts addressed as well. A particularly helpful way to pray is using Scripture itself. Consider how you might incorporate these and other verses as you intercede for your senior and classmates.
- Ask God to give your senior godly friends and a sound church (Psalm 1).
- Ask God to enable your senior to keep short accounts with Him (Psalm 32).
- Pray that you and your senior will be quick to praise God and take time to notice His abundant care and provision (Psalm 34).
- Thank God that He is a very present help in trouble (Spurgeon notes that “very” is there to point out that God is more present than the trouble is.) (Psalm 46)
- Pray that God will guide your senior’s steps in ways that honor him. Note how Psalm 121:3 answers the petition in Psalm 119:133
- Pray that awareness of sin would lead to repentance rather than to doubt of salvation (Romans 8:1).
- Pray that our seniors would see temptation for what it is and recognize the way of escape God has promised and prepared (1 Corinthians 10:13).
- Pray that your senior will take time to be a blessing (Genesis 12:2).
Do you have a portion of Scripture that has been especially helpful to you in praying for your growing children? We would love to hear about it.
About the Author
Imported from across the Atlantic, where she learned to love languages, old cities, and a great cup of coffee, Margot has served at Trinity Christian School since 2003. Her awe of God and the work He is doing at TCS increases with each passing year.