As the college advising team at Trinity Christian School, we recognize that each of our students has been uniquely created by God for his purposes. As our students grow in their grasp of truth and in cultivating character and a life of service here at Trinity, we trust that they are becoming more like Christ and are being prepared to be salt and light in the world when they graduate from our school and move on to college and careers.
By providing information, guidance, and assistance throughout the college search and application process, our goal is to help students discover which college option will offer the academic and social environment that will help them thrive and bring glory to the Lord Jesus. One of our greatest pleasures is celebrating with our seniors when they are accepted to a college that is just the right fit for them.
Please click on the links on this page to learn more about the support and resources we offer to our students along the way.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Mrs. Yvonne Gaffin
Trinity Christian School is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) and the Potomac and Chesapeake Association for College Admission Counseling (PCACAC). As such, we affirm NACAC's Statement of Principles of Good Practice and the Statement of Students' Rights and Responsibilities in the College Admission Process.
Trinity's student-centered college advising program is a comprehensive process involving a variety of services that provide students and parents with resources for applying to college.
College Advising Handbook
These programs help students and parents learn more about the application process.
- College Night: An overview of the college search and application process for freshmen and sophomores and their parents.
- Financial Aid Night: A comprehensive look at the financial aid process, led by a college financial aid officer.
- Junior College Meeting: A detailed look at the timeline of the college application process for juniors and their parents. We seek a diverse panel that will include a Virginia public university, a Christian college, and a selective private institution. Recent participants included admissions representatives from University of Virginia, Grove City College, and Johns Hopkins University.
- Course Selection Advising: Through an evening event for parents and grade-level seminar meetings for students. Families are advised how to make wise decisions regarding the progression of Upper School courses. Topics include homework considerations, the difference between Honors and standard college-preparatory courses, AP placement, graduation requirements, etc.
- College Admissions Representative Visits: Representatives from more than 50 colleges come to campus to meet with students Annual visits include schools such as Virginia Tech, UVA, Christopher Newport University, the College of William and Mary, Grove City College, Wheaton College, Baylor University, Bucknell University, University of Alabama, Florida State University, Vanderbilt University, Johns Hopkins University, and Georgetown University.
- Career Week: A week with dedicated seminar opportunities for students to hear professionals in a wide variety of fields discuss their education and career paths, as well as how their faith informs their work.
- Praying with and for students as they seek God's will concerning a good college match
- Providing training and guidance for research, college correspondence, decision-making, and development of a comprehensive list of schools to pursue
- Guiding students through scheduling for academic courses, testing, applications, and enrichment opportunities
- Sharing professional knowledge of current and historical trends in college admissions
- Supporting the college essay workshop in the senior English classes
- Writing recommendations and serving as advocates through the entire college search process
- Sending supporting documents to the colleges to which students are applying